The heart is capable of organizing this world.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Public health alert!

This one is for my former housemate Daphna! (and--I might add, which the Bonham family might get a kick out of--this is a kitchen cleaning tip that I learned from John!)


Kitchen threat #1: Your kitchen sponge. When participants in a study from NSF International (an independent public health organization) swabbed various items in their houses, the kitchen sponge was by far the germiest. In fact, it harbored 150 times more bacteria, mold and yeast than a toothbrush holder. "You pick up bacteria when cleaning, but because you rarely disinfect that sponge between uses, germs multiply," says Rob Donofrio, M.S., Ph.D., NSF's director of microbiology. While the majority of germs they found won't make you sick some, such as Salmonella and E. coli, can cause serious illness. The best way to de-germ your sponge: microwave a wet sponge for two minutes daily and replace it every two weeks. ------------------------------------------------

& just for fun & because I love histology--any guesses what kind of cells these are &/or what body part they came from?

1 comment:

Rach said...

Oh - I love this tip! I microwave my sponge all the time...makes me feel a little less squeamish. No guesses on the cells...it's been too long.
- Rachel